Extensive Reading Central is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to developing an Extensive Reading and Extensive Listening approach to foreign and second language learning. It was started by Dr. Rob Waring of Note Dame Seishin University, Okayama, Japan and Dr. Charles Browne of Meiji Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan as a free service to the EFL community.
Our aim is to keep this site as much as possible free. Our hope is the EFL community will assist us in building the site through collaboration. We have lots of exciting new features to make this possible under development.
We hope to avoid accepting any any advertising, however the site costs a considerable amount of money to run each year. If we are forced into accepting advertising to cover our costs, we will not favour any particular publisher, series, books or the like in any way.
Any blog comments that break house rules about profanity, respect for others and so on will be deleted. No comments on the quality of materials will be deleted.
Motto: Collaborate to enrich ELT
- ER-Central is a free website created and maintained by EFL Technologies for the ELT community.
- We do not expect to make any profit out of the content on the free parts of this site. In the future we may add premium features which users may choose to pay for.
We can be contacted here.
What is ER-Central?
Extensive Reading Central is a non-profit organization
It offers FREE English learning services to the EFL community through its website and mobile app
ER-Central is all about employing Extensive Reading and Extensive Listening in English learning
Available in Japanese, Thai, Arabic, Vietnamese, Spanish, Portuguese, Bahasa, Chinese simplified, Chinese traditional and Korean
Who is ER-Central for?
ER-Central is for language learners,
students, teachers, contributors, schools–just about everyone!
Our method is scientifically proven to be effective
Our texts are classified according to learner level
Our listening materials come with comprehension check
We have fun games for learning new words
We have a text helper to help you understand any text
You can create your own word lists
You can take tests to assess your learning level
Teachers can create classes and tests
It’s available in over 10 languages!
How to use ER-Central if you’re a student:
- Sign up
- Check your listening and reading levels
- Choose what you want to do:
Read – Listen – Learn
- Check your progress
You can send your progress data to you teacher!
How to use ER-Central if you’re a teacher:
- Sign up as an Institution and login
- Create a class
- Upload your student list
- Give your students their ID and password
- Monitor your students’ reading and listening
- Download your data
What’s in our Reading Room
- A library with hundreds of texts classified according to learner level
- Quizzes to check your reading comprehension
- Reading bookmarks lets you bookmark reading materials for easier retrieval
- Speedy reader checks how fast you can read with a special timer
- Text helper – helps you understand any text
What’s in our Listening Room
- A library with hundreds of audio and text classified according to learner level
- Listening bookmarks lets you bookmark reading materials for easier retrieval
- Quizzes to check your listening comprehension
What’s in our Vocabulary Room
Learn My Words – a fun way to learn and get familiar with words saved in your word list
Find the pairs
Find the word
Shoot ‘em up
Beat the clock